Monday, December 8, 2008

Firsts

Kaden has had a couple of new "firsts" recently. First X-rays and as a direct result, first big boy bed. Kaden hurt his knee several days ago. I'm not sure exactly how he injured it, but it kept giving out on him.  He'd fall down, grab his knee, crying and saying "Owie" (is there really a correct spelling for that word?). This happened eight to ten times within a half hour, so off to InstaCare we went.

They took X-rays of his knee and it took three people to hold him down. They gave him an Otter Pop for him to eat while we waited for the doctor. The doctor came into our room and do you think Kaden's knee problem persisted? Heavens no! We must make mom seem overprotective and paranoid. His knee did it twice in the waiting room, but of course not in front of the doctor. She had him walking around all over the office and nothing. She wrapped it in an ace bandage, which I believe was more for my sake than for Kaden's, and prescribed ibuprofen. She said if the problem persisted for more than a couple of days to take him to the emergency room. Luckily, he never had another problem after that.

Kaden had been climbing out of his crib for a week or so.  Once I even saw him stand on the side rail and take a flying leap right off!  After this knee business I promptly listed his crib in the classifieds and sold it that same day. No more acrobatics out of his crib. It was sold and picked up so fast I didn't have time to be sad about it. My sister had an adorable toddler bed that she is letting us borrow until Annika is big enough for it.

Kaden absolutely loves his new bed. He is so proud of it. The first night, he was up three times. I was sleeping in my bed and all of a sudden heard a "Hi." I opened my eyes and there's his little face, right in front of mine, chin resting on my mattress. Quite startling when you're not expecting it.  Fortunately he hasn't gotten up in the middle of the night since. He really loves his little bed and even put himself down for a nap twice on Friday and once yesterday. Tina and I went looking for him yesterday and found him fast asleep in his bed. So cute!


4 comments:

  1. I finally got to read your blog! For some reason, I have not been able to look at your blog, so I would occasionally check back and would come up with nothing, but today, YEAH!! I am excited for you and Kaden and your new phase of life! I wish you the best, with naps, bedtime, etc. But it seems like he is adjusting well with it so keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been in the same boat as Jen. I haven't been able to get on your blog. Kaden is just a sweet boy. How luck you are. It is a big deal when they move on to a big boy bed. I felt sad when my little Kate made the jump, but life is about change. You just have to keep adapting to it. That has always very hard for me. I am glad he doesn't keep you up at night. Having that new found freedom of his own bed be can be hard on a mother. Again, you have been so lucky. Love you, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must have had some crappy x-ray techs!!! I never have 3 people around much less that many to help hold a kicking and screamin little boy. Glad he feels better. Are you in your new house? Love ya Bree

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Stacy! Congrats on your new house. I'm so excited for you guys. What a great way to start off a new age and a new year.

    ReplyDelete