Monday, March 30, 2009

Balloons

It was my mom's birthday a few days ago, the big SIX OH to be exact, so we had a few celebrations for her, which involved balloons. Being the nice grandma that she is, she let Kaden have one on two different occasions. Last Thursday, he got his first balloon from her. The dang thing spent more time on the ceiling than it did in his hands. I was up and down off a chair all night pulling it down from the ceiling. He had to take it everywhere with him. At the dinner table, in the bath, and to bed.

He wouldn't let me tie the balloon to his bed. He insisted on holding it. As soon as he started nodding off, he would let go of the balloon and cry for me to retrieve it from the ceiling. After a couple of times, I finally put him in his play tent to sleep. That way the balloon could only rise two feet above him. But then I was afraid that he would somehow get strangled by the string, so I had to cut it off. Lately Kaden has been coming in to sleep with me in the middle of the night, as he did again Thursday night/Friday morning at 5:15am with all of his supplies in tow: blankie, sippy cup, LittleTouch LeapPad, and of course the balloon - everything his "must" sleep with.

The next day, my sister and friend Jami came over to help prepare for my mom's birthday luncheon that we were having for her Saturday. Annika and Brooklyn came too and the three kids fought incessantly over that balloon. I'm talking laying down on the floor, kicking, screaming, bawling, snot bubbles - the works - kind of fighting. After listening to this for a couple of hours, the balloon met a steak knife and it's life was over. Kaden cried for about a minute, then we had peace the rest of the night.

There were more balloons at my mom's birthday luncheon on Saturday. There were enough for each grandchild to have one, so luckily there was no fighting over them. Once again, Kaden had to take it to bed. Again, I cut the string off so that there was just enough for him to hold on to. Again, he came in to sleep with me in the middle of the night, but there was no helium left in the balloon so he was holding on to this totally limp balloon, dangling along side him. Then he wanted to take it to preschool with him this morning. I told him he could take it in the car but not to school, anything to get us out the door on time. When I got to work, I threw the balloon away.

4 comments:

  1. There are two things I despise that kids love: balloons and stuffed animals! I completely know what you mean. There is never a moment happier for me than when the kids go to bed, and the balloon disappears! POP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. too funny!! he is such a cute little character...thanks for inviting us to your moms party it was great seeing everyone again!! and thanks for the hair comment on facebook!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I can totally see his crocodile tears now. That was a very tramatic night for all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the laugh, you just described my house (only x2). My Laila has been waking up every night and when you ask her why she is crying (at 2am) she says "sleep in mommy's bed", it is ridiculous. Poor Dan ends up in the guest bed just to shut her up so we can get some sleep. I want to see some updated pictures of your little man, I'm sure he is getting so big.

    ReplyDelete